Building department

Our Offices Responsibility to Our Residents:


Building Department Services

  • Plan review is required for all proposed structures.
  • Inspections and enforcement according to the Connecticut State Building Codes, relative to the manner of construction and materials to be used in the erection, addition to, alteration, repair, removal, demolition or installation of service equipment and the location, occupancy and maintenance of all buildings and structures.
  • Grants approval of all building materials, dimensions, structural integrity and zoning compliance. All building records are public information and are available for viewing during Building Department hours.

Zoning / Wetlands Enforcement

(Go To Commission's Page)


  • Investigations of complaints received, and issuance if necessary orders with re-inspection to ensure compliance. The Enforcement Officer has the authority to turn non-compliant issues over th the Town Attorneys for legal action.
  • May order immediate cease and desist of actions in any form that is in the interest of code compliance or public safety and general welfare.

How to File a Building or Zoning Complaint: Click Here




Jack Cipriano

Building  & Zoning  Enforcement Officer



Available Hours:

Monday & Wednesday

8:30 AM - 4:00 PM


8:30 AM - 6:30 PM


Kaitlyn Turner

Assistant to the
Building Official

860-376-7060 x2110

email me

Griswold Town Hall

28 Main Street

Jewett City, CT 06351

Phone: 860.376.7060

Fax:  860 376-7070


  Our office is on the first floor of the Town Hall.



Monday - Wednesday

8:30 AM – 4:00 PM


8:30 AM – 6:30 PM


8:30 AM – 1:00 PM

Did You Know?


As a property owner, most changes made to your structure

 or property requires a building permit or possibly a zoning permit.  If you are in doubt, please call the Building Department to avoid

fines and penalties for work done without permits.


Uncas Health District Approvals are required for all Building Permit Applications in order to construct an addition, a deck, or a garage and also for the installation of a swimming pool or to change the use of a building.  Call 860-823-1189, Extension 113 to obtain an Uncas Health District Application.


Zoning Board of Appeals Variances may be required prior to applying for

 a Building Permit if the Zoning setback requirements for your property cannot be met for your addition or an accessory structure.


Inland Wetlands Permits may be required if any work is done on your property  within  75 feet of a wetlands or waterway.


The start of your project may be delayed without the proper approvals

 prior to submitting your Building Permit Application







No Town fee shall be required for a permit to reduce or upgrade the roofing, siding, windows, or electrical or heating system of an owner-occupied, single-family home if one of the home owners of record is

aged 62 or over. Such owner shall be required to provide proof of

 age in order to obtain this exemption.


The CT State Educational Fee of .26/per thousand of the estimated cost cannot be waived and is due upon application submittal.


Building Department

Important Information


As the homeowner, you are responsible for all applicable permits and approvals for any work done on your property, whether by you or by a contractor. You are also responsible to have all work inspected by the Building Official; this includes the

FINAL INSPECTION when your project has been completed.


Failure to do so can result in code violations, permit expiration;

furthermore, create problems with your insurance coverage and property sales/refinancing. You can also click on the link below to view a list of all required inspections.  If you should ever have any question contact our office for assistance.


Homeowner Resources


Do I Need an Inspection?

(View Required Inspection List)


Swimming Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs:

(Download Guidelines)


Self-Setting Inflatable Swimming Pools: Require a:
 Building Permit & Uncas Health District Approval

(2015 International Residential Code Must Be Followed)


ADA Wheelchair Ramp Specifications & Guidelines:


Click here for Information

Better Business Bureau

94 South Turnpike Road

Wallingford, CT 06492


203 -269 - 2700

Connecticut Department of

Consumer Protection

450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 901

Hartford, CT 06103


860 - 713 - 6100