Town Clerk's office

Our Offices Responsibility to Our Residents:


The Town Clerk’s Office is the main information station for the entire Town of Griswold. It is the job of the Clerk’s to create and maintain documents.  Our staff is a wealth of information and we stand ready to answer any questions you may have.







Valerie Pudvah

Town Clerk

860.376.7060 x2100

email me

Jaimee O'Neill-Eaton

Assistant Town Clerk

860.376.7060 x2101

email me

Griswold Town Hall

28 Main Street

Jewett City, CT 06351

Fax:  860 376-7070


Our office is on the first floor of the Town Hall.



Monday - Wednesday

8:30 AM – 4:00 PM


8:30 AM – 6:30 PM


8:30 AM – 1:00 PM




All dogs residing in the Town of Griswold must be licensed. Spay/Neuter certificate and up to date rabies certificate is required at time of licensing. See fee schedule.  Failure to license dogs can result in tickets ranging from $75.00 - $211.00.



If you are planning to marry, you must arrive at the office no later than 30 minutes prior to closing.  Both you and your spouse-to-be must appear in person at the Town Clerk's office of the town where the marriage is to take place. You will need to provide identification and make a sworn statement that the information that you provide is true. You no longer need to have a blood test to obtain a marriage license in CT.


The cost of the marriage license is $50 check/cash/credit card; the license is valid for 65 days from the date of application. Once the marriage ceremony takes place, the marriage officiator will submit the license to the town clerk of the town where the marriage took place.  The Town Clerk will then register the license and place it on file for permanent record. A certified copy costs $20.


Marriage License Application

Marriage Laws for Minors

Request of Copy of Marriage License

Justice of the Peace Listing




Certified copies of vital records can be obtained either by mail or in person. A request form (see forms) needs to be filled out and identification needs to be shown. See fee schedule.


Recordings must be done 30 minutes prior to the close of business. See fee schedule for recording fee information. Additional information regarding tax rates - Connecticut law requires a person who sells real property for $2,000 or more to pay a real estate conveyance tax when he conveys the property to the buyer. The tax has two parts: a state tax and a municipal tax. The state tax rate is 0.75% of the sale price, depending on the type of property and how much it sells for, and the town tax rate is 0.25% of the sale price. The seller pays the tax when he conveys the property.


Land Records

$60 for the 1st page

$5 for each additional page

$159 for MERS documents

$5 for each additional page in a MERS document

$2 Conveyance Fee

Conveyance Tax Fees (Tax Stamps)

State Rate – 0.75% of sale price

Town Rate – 0.25% of sale price

$30 for Subdivision Maps

$20 for Survey Maps

Dog Licensing Fees

Neutered/Spayed - $8

Not Neutered/Spayed - $19

Late Licensing Penalty - $1 for every month after June.

Replacement Tag - $0.50

Transfer from Another Town - $1.00

Other Fees

Marriage License Application Fee - $50

Certified Vital Records:

*Birth - $20

*Death - $20

*Marriage - $20

Notary Certificate Recording - $20

Liquor Permit Recording- $20

Trade Name Recording - $10

Non-Resident Notary Fee - $5

Copies of Land Records - $1 per page

Copies of Maps - $3  or $5 each

Certification Fee - $2 per document

Use of Handheld Scanners - $20





  • Recordings will only be accepted by mail or eRecording. See list of eRecording submitters.
  • Absentee ballots applications must be submitted by mail. Application can be found here
  • Marriage license issuance is currently suspended. For more information please call the office.
  • Death certificates, burial permits and cremation permits issuance, please contact the office.
  • Customers seeking copies of vital records must call the office. Vital records will be issued by mail only, no in person pick-ups. Credit card payments will be accepted over the phone for immediate processing ($2 fee applies), or checks can be mailed in, records will be sent out when checks are received.
  • Dog licensing can be done through the mail or electronically. Please call for further information.
  • Land records can be searched online.
  • Any other questions, please contact the Town Clerk’s office.


Valerie Pudvah, Town Clerk

(860) 376-7060 ext 2100


Jaimee O’Neill-Eaton, Assistant Town Clerk

(860) 376-7060 ext 2101



eRecording Submitters:


CSC eRecording



Phone: (866) 652-0111




Indecomm Global Services










An Act Concerning Revisions to Elections Related Statutes

    Sec. 56. (NEW) (Effective January 1, 2012) (a) Any elector who is permanently physically disabled and who files an application for an absentee ballot with a certification from a primary care provider, indicating that such elector is permanently physically disabled and unable to appear in person at such elector's designated polling location, shall be eligible for permanent absentee ballot status and shall receive an application for an absentee ballot for each election, primary or referendum conducted in such elector's municipality for which such elector is eligible to vote. Such elector's permanent absentee ballot status shall remain in effect until such elector: (1) Is removed from the official registry list of the municipality, (2) is removed from permanent absentee ballot status pursuant to the provisions of this section, or (3) requests that he or she no longer receive such permanent absentee ballot status.

    (b) The registrars of voters shall send written notice to each such elector with permanent absentee ballot status in January of each year, on a form prescribed by the Secretary of the State, for the purpose of determining if such elector continues to reside at the address indicated on the elector's permanent absentee ballot application. If such written notice is not returned within thirty days or is returned as undeliverable, the elector in question shall be removed from permanent absentee ballot status. If such elector indicates on such notice that the elector no longer resides at such address and the elector's new address is within the same municipality, the registrars of voters shall change the elector's address pursuant to section 9-35 of the general statutes and such elector shall retain permanent absentee ballot status. If the elector indicates on such notice that the elector no longer resides in the municipality, the registrars of voters shall remove such individual from the registry list of the municipality and send such individual an application for voter registration. Failure to return such written notice shall not result in the removal of an elector from the official registry list of the municipality. (Emphasis Added)


 Notice of Permanent Absentee Ballot Status Application

“Connecticut General Statutes § 1-217 prohibits the Town of  Griswold from disclosing, under the Freedom of Information  Act, the residential address of any of the following persons:

 (1) A federal court judge, federal court magistrate, judge of the Superior Court, Appellate Court or Supreme Court of the state, or family support magistrate;

(2) A sworn member of a municipal police department, a sworn member of the Division of State Police within the Department of Public Safety or a sworn law enforcement officer within the Department of Environmental Protection;

(3) An employee of the Department of Correction;

(4) An attorney-at-law who represents or has represented the state in a criminal prosecution;

(5) An attorney-at-law who is or has been employed by the Public  Defender Services Division or a social worker who is employed by the Public Defender Services Division;

(6) An inspector employed by the Division of Criminal Justice;

(7) A firefighter;

(8) An employee of the Department of Children and Families;

(9) A member or employee of the Board of Pardons and Paroles;

(10) An employee of the judicial branch;

 (11) An employee of the Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services who provides direct care to patients;

 (12) A member or employee of the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities.

If you fall within one or more of these categories, please inform us in writing or by e-mailing  Valerie Pudvah , Town Clerk. (use Contact Me link above)

Your letter should be written on business letterhead, and should provide us with 1) your name, 2) your residential address in town, and 3) the exempt classification to which you belong.  Please note that this law applies only to residential addresses, not to business addresses.  We look forward to hearing from you.


A Trade Name Certificate is required to be filed for the purposes of identifying those persons doing business under a fictitious Trade Name,  i.e.  for consumer protection purposes pursuant to Section 35-1 of the Connecticut General Statutes.   DOWNLOAD TRADE NAME CERTIFICATE